Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit: On the Doorstep


 On the Doorstep - 14 x 36 in., oil on masonite

Hey Everyone! This one's been out for a while but I just realized I haven't posted it yet and since everyone's going to be in Hobbit-mode this weekend it seemed like a good time.  It was done as packaging art for Fantasy Flight Games for one of their card games and it's the sequel to the earlier piece I did for them of the party leaving the Shire.

It was a serious challenge composing all those figures but in general I really enjoyed working on this one. As great as it was getting to do the first one, this scene is a lot more up my alley. It was a real kick getting to figure out what my interpretation of Smaug would look like, once I got that figured out and what I wanted to do with the lighting, everything else kind of fell into place.

Here's a detail shot:

5 comments:

  1. Dude! you are seriously out of control awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing other artists impressions of Tolkien's stuff. We've had the Peter Jackson/Weta stuff saturating our eyeballs for a long time now so it's a nice departure to see your take on the Hobbit!

    Love the warm and cool lighting design!

    ReplyDelete